spam
shipwreck
2007-03-11 11:27:48 UTC
Some scrote has sent over a thousand bounced messages to my account!
everytime I delete 500 another 500 are waiting to be deleted.
Trouble is I need some of the messages that have been sent.
Any advice how I can sort it?I don't have Broadband so deleting is
slow.I may have to change the account but wondered if there was a way.
Using OE and Wanadoo pay as you go,any help apprec.
McAfee virus,Spam Terminator plus other spam programs are all up to
date including Mailwasher but they don't stop this.
Thanks if you can
Charlie Tame
2007-03-11 20:48:57 UTC
1 You used a real email address in a newsgroup so it will now be "Harvested"
by spammers.

2 Programs like "Mailwasher" that "Bounce" spam are part of this problem,
since the email addresses used are very often those of victims of
"Harvesting" like yourself. What you are seeing is "The other guy's view" of
such as "Mailwasher".

3 I have had a lot of success with a program called "Popfile" but
considering the likely outcome (Your email already a victim etc)you may be
faced with a situation where a new email address is the only practical
answer.

Charlie
Thanks if you can
Michael Santovec
2007-03-11 22:16:56 UTC
Does your ISP offer web mail access? If so you could use that to delete
the spam/bounced messages without having to download them.

Or you might also be able to use http://mail2web.com or
http://www.mailstart.com for this function (if your ISP allows outside
access to their POP3 mail server).
Thanks if you can
shipwreck
2007-03-12 18:16:00 UTC
Post by shipwreck
Some scrote has sent over a thousand bounced messages to my account!
everytime I delete 500 another 500 are waiting to be deleted.
Trouble is I need some of the messages that have been sent.
Any advice how I can sort it?I don't have Broadband so deleting is
slow.I may have to change the account but wondered if there was a way.
Using OE and Wanadoo pay as you go,any help apprec.
McAfee virus,Spam Terminator plus other spam programs are all up to
date including Mailwasher but they don't stop this.
Thanks if you can
Appreciate the replies and I've got something to go on.True I used
real address a couple of times but it was too a golf group which I
thought everyone was friendly,seems not, if it indeed came from there.
I'll change the address and be more careful.Thanks again.
Charlie Tame
2007-03-13 06:39:07 UTC
Post by shipwreck
Post by shipwreck
Some scrote has sent over a thousand bounced messages to my account!
everytime I delete 500 another 500 are waiting to be deleted.
Trouble is I need some of the messages that have been sent.
Any advice how I can sort it?I don't have Broadband so deleting is
slow.I may have to change the account but wondered if there was a way.
Using OE and Wanadoo pay as you go,any help apprec.
McAfee virus,Spam Terminator plus other spam programs are all up to
date including Mailwasher but they don't stop this.
Thanks if you can
Appreciate the replies and I've got something to go on.True I used
real address a couple of times but it was too a golf group which I
thought everyone was friendly,seems not, if it indeed came from there.
I'll change the address and be more careful.Thanks again.
The one I use on here (Intentionally because I was doing some research) gets
half a million junk mails per year and once an address is compromised in
this way it's had it. Many of the "Unsubscribe" links actually do nothing,
or subscribe you to even more crap and you only need one of those "Welcome
to our joke site, send this joke to 5 of your friends" to get all 5 people
onto such a list and yourself too.

Try to keep one address for things like credit cards and important stuff and
make it not your default address, then any mistake you make will not matter
so much.

Charlie
ïìåç íáòéîá ôáîñ