Switched to Broadband, OE still trying to dial Help Please
Derek McBryde
2006-01-01 23:13:41 UTC
I'm trying to help a friend with his computer. He is running Win98SE
and has just installed Broadband. The problem is that everytime he
accesses Outlook Express the system brings up the "connect" box and
closes the broadband connection. He then has to change the
connection address (still shows old dial up details) to broadband and
re-dial.

I don't know Outlook express at all but I had a look at tools etc. I
couldn't find anywhere to stop this redial happening. I think I
managed to get it to not close the connection afterwards.

What he would like to do is just connect using broadband and then use
Internet Explorer or Outlook Express as he wishes without dropping the
connection or redialling.

Can anyone please advise me on what he needs to do or point me to some
tutorial where this change to Broadband is explained?

I appreciate your help. Many thanks.

Derek
PA Bear
2006-01-01 23:19:50 UTC
OE Tools > Accounts > [account] > Properties > Connection > Always connect
using... (uncheck)
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org
Derek
Derek McBryde
2006-01-03 01:11:12 UTC
Post by PA Bear
OE Tools > Accounts > [account] > Properties > Connection > Always connect
using... (uncheck)
Thanks, I'll try this.

After converting to Broadband he is still able to send and receive
using his old email address (not sure how but I am assuming that old
ISP is not blocking access to its SMTP server).

Nevertheless we will be setting up a new email address and for a
period he will want to receive emails to both old and new addresses.

I can get my head around setting up an additional account and OE
automatically receiving emails from both accounts into the Inbox.

I can't get my head around replies though.

Supposing he composes replies to emails received from both old and new
addresses (eg both accounts). When he goes to send them, will the
replies all go with the default email address (desirable) or will each
go with the originating address?

If the latter, is there any problem trying to use SMTP server of a
account that is not the default? Will it say it can't access it or
something. Alternatively, should one change the smtp server on the
"old" account to the default server and just have the pop3 server
pointing to the old address.

I do apologise if these are stupid questions. I am trying to help a
friend but I have never used Outlook Express and I have no way of
testing these things on my own computer. I have searched on the
internet for some specific instructions on this Old/New overlap but
can't find anything.

I hope someone can advise. Many thanks

Derek
PA Bear
2006-01-03 02:43:57 UTC
One can have any number of accounts (email addresses) running in one
identity.

By default OE will use the account the message was sent to in the From box
when replying or forwarding.

If you're connected to the 'net using isp2.com and attempt to send using
isp1.com's SMTP server, chances are that it will fail.
--
~PA Bear
Derek
Charlie Tame
2006-01-03 02:30:18 UTC
Post by Derek McBryde
Post by PA Bear
[...]
The SMTP from the old ISP will probably refuse your connection since when
sending the only authorization you have is being connected to their network.
The email address and Pw are used only for the pop3 box... not for
sending... so the SMTP will likely see you as a spammer. By all means
experiment but the new ISP server should be all you need.

For sending you should see a drop down arrow on the right hand end of the
"From" box... I would suggest using this to ensure you send from the more
recent address, thus directing any replies to the correct place. You do know
that in the account settings the email address in the first box will be
given as the reply address unless you fill in the second box... which can be
real or fake. If he needs a fake address then ***@somewhere.invalid will
work (in case spammers harvest from newsgroups for example) since made up
addresses should not be real ones and that's kinda hard to predict these
days.

You or he might find this site useful setting up OE for newsgroups and feel
free to refer him to the one below - it is incredibly useful and 100 times
better than anything Microsoft have on the subject. (I think they saw Tom's
site and gave up :)

www.charlietame.org
--
Still the best site for OE details
http://www.insideoe.tomsterdam.com/

Charlie
mac
2006-01-03 17:43:54 UTC
Post by Derek McBryde
Post by PA Bear
OE Tools > Accounts > [account] > Properties > Connection > Always connect
using... (uncheck)
Thanks, I'll try this.
In addition, you may need to open Internet Explorer>tools menu>internet
options>connection tab>select 'never dial a connection'>apply/OK your way
out.
--
Regards Steve.
MS-MVP. OE. [DTS]
Derek McBryde
2006-01-03 22:03:05 UTC
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 01:11:12 +0000, Derek McBryde
<***@mcbrydc.demon.co.uk> wrote:

Thanks everybody for your help and advice

Derek
Raymond Daley
2006-12-15 22:23:06 UTC
Post by Derek McBryde
[...]
look in IE.
tools, connections and delete all the dial-up settings.
it'll then default to the broadband.
i'd also advise removing the modem from the machine if it's not built into
the motherboard.